Tyson Skeen is the Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor for the Utah Prosecution Council (UPC). He has worked for UPC for one year. Before coming to UPC he worked for the City of West Jordan and Salt Lake City. To help you get to know him a little better we asked him the following questions:
- Law school you attended: University of Utah
- Undergraduate degree and school: Criminal Justice, Utah Valley University
- First job you ever had: Paper route
- Best job you’ve ever had: Paper route
- Worst job you’ve ever had: Paper route
- Top 3 things on your bucket list:
(a) Fish Jurassic Lake, Argentina
(b) Harvest a trophy bull elk
(c) Return to Zimbabwe and Zambia
- Guilty pleasure(s): I used to watch “The Challenge” on MTV with my wife. I mocked her forever for watching it, and then I got sucked in. It was like tractor beams, nothing I could do about it. What a fantastic train wreck! A couple stints in rehab helped break the cycle though, and I’ve been clean for many years.
- Favorite hobby: My first love is fly fishing, but I love to hunt as well.
- Dream vacation spot: Iceland
- Furthest you’ve ever traveled: Zimbabwe and Zambia
- What’s something you’ve done that no one else/few others have: Many will remember the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Han Solo stuffs Luke Skywalker into the body cavity of a Tauntaun to stay warm. Well, as a young child, my genius older brother had me do this with a deer he had cleaned when I was cold and we were waiting for our dad to come back with the vehicle. It worked.
- Favorite quote: “I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout.” –Paul O’Neill
- Most rewarding case: I had dismissed three prior DV cases with these same parties when the victim did not show up on the day of trial each time. The fourth case came through for screening and I agreed to go ahead with it and try to work with the victim to give her the courage to come and testify. It was a lot of effort and extra work, but she came and testified. The way the defendant’s smug look on his face turned to sheer panic when the victim walked through the door of the court room on the day of trial is something I will never forget. Yes, he was convicted.
- Someone you admire and why: My father. He passed away seven years ago but his influence on me and so many other people is still felt so strongly today. I meet new people and introduce myself and I get asked so frequently if I am Paul’s son. It always amazes me how wide he cast his net. He helped so many people and tried to make life better for those around him. I can only hope to do the same.
- If you could have any super power, what would it be: I want to fly. No doubt about it!
- Something you’re really good at: Cornhole (Cornhole, also known as “bean bag toss” is an International lawn game in which players take turns throwing bags of corn (or beans) at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole)
- Best advice you’ve ever been given: Just because you can, does not mean you should.
- Least favorite household chore: Dishes
- Famous person you love to hate: Tom Brady